Sunday, September 15, 2013

Welcome To The Heist

When you think of Macklemore, what song of his first pops into your mind?

Many people would answer "Thrift Shop" or "Same Love" or "Can't Hold Us."

I answer "Wing$" and "Jimmy Iovine" and "Starting Over" -  some of the not very typically thought of songs.

The reason why I support Macklemore (Ben Haggerty) as much as I do isn't just because of the movement he stands behind - although it does factor into why I like him. No, I support him because of his authenticity and the honesty and candidness of The Heist.

Unlike many popular rappers, Ben raps about reality, working on your dreams, and the pressures of life from a positive standpoint. While Can't Hold Us and Thrift shop may be great clubbing songs, the songs I like the best are the ones with the most intelligent, witty, real-life feel to them.

My favorite song on the album, Wing$, is about identity in consumerism - namely, the identity of a young child who connected these big dreams to physical treasures; a kid who tries to find identity in material things but gets a big reality check when he realizes that it's not all there is to life. The chorus, sung by young voices, was what hit home for me:
"I wanna fly, can you take me far away? Give me a star to reach for, tell me what it takes. And I'll go so high, I'll go so high my feet won't touch the ground. I stitch my wings and pull the strings, I bought these dreams that all fall down."

Jimmy Iovine, my second favorite song on the album, is pretty much the story of Ben's success, though the exact details of the song are probably fictitious. The rap plays out a story of a younger Ben and Ryan seeking a deal with producer Jimmy Iovine. There's the nerves, the plan to get noticed, and the deal that almost went down. The most powerful line of the song, and one that probably highlights the duo's success, is delivered at the end:
"I appreciate the offer, thought that this is what I wanted. Rather be a starving artist than succeed at getting f***ed."

This goes to show that you can dream big and be successful. Looking at the life these two made for themselves, you'll realize that it will take hard work, struggles, and finding your own path, but it's attainable. There are no excuses to not try.

Of course, Starting Over is exactly what it sounds like. Ben is open about his drug and alcohol abuse and how he went to rehab for it. Then people would come up to him, congratulate him, tell him that he's the inspiration for their sobriety. Only, he knew that he relapsed again. He didn't want to disappoint his fans. But he picked himself back up and has now moved on to greater things in his life.
"If I can be an example of getting sober, then I can be an example of starting over."

These raps tell what real life is. They show Ben and Ryan's hard work and dedication to the field. No matter the story, it ends up motivational because they made something of it. Which is something I think we could all take away from their success.



You can find me on any of these links and more

Until next time 
- Kristazzi


1 comment:

  1. Good post. I love the way he use his lyrics to stand behind causes people often forget

    ReplyDelete