Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 29 - 10 Reasons Why | 30 Day Blog Challenge


For today's blog challenge, I'm originally supposed to share with you 10 people with whom I would love to have a meal with. However, I can't exactly think up 10 different people, so I'm changing the rules a bit. Instead, I will share about my grandmother, Carol, who has been the single biggest inspiration in my life. Even though she's passed away almost 10 years ago, I still have so many memories with her that I won't allow myself to forget. So today, I'll give you 10 reasons, of the many that I have, why I miss her.

1. Because she passed when I was so young, I feel like I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I wanted.

2. She was one of the kindest, most caring people I've ever had the pleasure of being around to this day.

3. I have this specific memory of when I was 4-7 years old when she and my grandpa would pick me up from school. She would pick me up and sit me on top of the sink, fill the sink up with water, and wash my feet. To many people, this isn't a big deal, but I believe that washing of the feet is symbolic for humbling oneself in the presence of another human being. To this day, I can't think of this without getting misty-eyed.

4. She was the strongest person I've ever known. She suffered from leukemia for years before she passed. The last two weeks before that, we found out that she had contracted Valley Fever and her immune system was so weak that it couldn't handle it. Despite all this, I never once heard her complain about her illness. I don't remember her complaining about much of anything at all. She would always try to make the best of a bad situation. And, you know how there are those people who suddenly turn nice once they've discovered they have a terminal illness? She had been warm and kindhearted for as long as I could ever remember, way before she ever became ill.

5. She sincerely cared for everybody, as if they were her family.

6. I miss seeing her smile.

7. She was the glue that held everything together. Our family was so much happier with her around. My grandpa was more himself when she was here. Everyone loved her and I think, in a way, we all still really miss her.

8. I remember one day my parents, some family friends, and I took a day trip to Disneyland and California Adventure. After going on the Soarin' Over California ride, I got the hugest headache that I had ever had (I have always been very headache-prone) and I was starting to become nauseous on the ride home, so parents dropped me off at my grandma's house so she could watch me while they took our friends home. As soon as my grandma heard that I had a headache, she got some eucalyptus balm out of the cabinet and rubbed it over my forehead. Then, she did this thing (I can only assume it's Chinese) where she clasped both her hands together and gently tapped on my forehead all around and - as quickly as my headache appeared - it went away completely. I call her an angel for that because, as much as everyone else tries, they still can't make my headaches go away like my grandma did that one night.

9. She never, in any way, made me feel bad about myself. I wrote about what some of my childhood was like in a previous post, so if you're interested in reading that, just click the link.

10. Finally, I see a bit of her personality in my cousins and in myself. You might be familiar with the phrase "that trait skipped a generation," and recently, I've been examining where I get some of my quirks from. From different stories that I've heard about her, she was sort of a tom-boy and played sports, but also knew how to be dressy and classy. She really loved traveling, sightseeing, and the arts. I remember her showing me some paintings she did when she was younger and I thought they were the best things I'd ever seen.





As always, you can find the 30 Day Blog Challenge list by clicking the link.

Until tomorrow
- Kristazzi

No comments:

Post a Comment