Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 11 - iPod Shuffle Challenge | 30 Day Blog Challenge

Today, I'm going to put my entire music library on shuffle and list the first 10 songs. However, to make this a little more interesting and challenging, I'm not only going to list them, but also give you a little bit of my perspective of each of the songs as I'm listening to them. When the song stops, I finish my sentence and move on to the next song that plays. Ok, ready? Here we go.

1. Rette Mich - Tokio Hotel
When I first discovered music, I kinda went all out. I fell in love with the Rock/Alternative/Metal genres and one of my favorite bands of all time under these categories is Tokio Hotel. I actually didn't realize that they translated their songs into English until I stole away to my cousin's house to watch some of their interviews on YouTube. This song is "Rescue Me" done originally in German. Back then, I took the time to translate their songs myself and memorize them. I actually started learning German because of them.



2. Boten Anna - Basshunter
Another foreign song, but in Swedish this time! I'm almost embarrassed to have this one on my iPod. I got it because it was trending among the nerds and drama kids at my high school several years ago. Overall, it's an upbeat, catchy song. I also took the liberty to commit this song to memory, though my accent may be completely terrible ... haha



3. My Immortal - Evanescence
Going back to the Rock/Alternative genres that I love so much, this song was one of my first loves by Evanescence. The quiet, sombre tone matches the lyrics beautifully and in a way that makes you really appreciate the piano and the strings, however subtly they appear.
Personally, I identified with this song and this band throughout my years of on and off depression. Listening to them was like a hug for my young, adolescent self. I felt like they, and other bands in this genre, understood what I was feeling at the time.

4. Tied My Hands (Acoustic) - Seether
I love this song as it was recorded originally, but I feel like the acoustic version adds depth and an eeriness that haunts you in a way, but in a good way. Just by the title, I'm reminded of the infamous "Hallelujah," and in a small way, it is like "Hallelujah" Whenever I'm in a sombre mood, this song seems to creep back into my Most Played list and in general, Seether remains one of my favorites.

5. Dance or Die - Family Force 5
I remember, a couple years ago, when this song would be set on repeat. I absolutely loved it, and listening to it now is a bit of a treat for me. This song is very upbeat and danceable (it would be ironic if it wasn't!) FF5 in general likes to keep their audience on their feet. Seeing them in concert, there was never a dull moment. These guys are pretty hardcore awesome. This makes me happy now, reliving those memories.

6. LoveStoned - Justin Timberlake
Before discovering the Rock genre, I listened to a bit of Hip Hop, R&B, Rap, and Pop music. Back then, I didn't even have an iPod or an MP3 player (did they even exist then?) so I would always be on the radio, and they really loved playing this song. To be honest, I loved listening to it every time. By the time I bought my first iPod, this song was a definite must-have. Plus ... it's JT. Come on ... haha.
I love the beat in this song and how it changes up around the 3/4 mark. (If you don't already know this song, what have you been doing with your life?) This is just sexy all around. Sexy, bubbly, energetic, and makes you almost want to strut across the club and surprise-kiss that sweet young thang you've been glancing at all night. Yeah, almost. But there's no denying that it's sexy and JT knows it.

7. Forever - Red
A couple years ago, I was obsessed with Red. In a way, I still am. For us Rock/Alt fans, some of their songs just hit the soul in a way that you know it's good. I also saw Red in concert and there was also not a dull moment. Their use of pyrotechnics just makes the experience that much more awesome. If you ever get a chance, give this song a try. It's not too hardcore rock but, at the same time, not too soft. It's even written in a way that keeps you intrigued til the end.

8. Imaginary - Evanescence
Yet another Evanescence song. I'm starting to think my iPod is biased. If you ever get a chance, also check out this song. The imagery that accompanies the music paints an eerie picture of dark and light that has a way of balancing each other out. Don't let the label "gothic rock" scare you away from Evanescence; you very may well find them at least interesting, if you don't absolutely fall in love.

9. Path-Vol 2 - Apocalyptica
Surprisingly, not very many people I meet have heard of Apocalyptica. Most often, I'll get the response, "You mean Apocalypto, the movie?" In my opinion, they're more "instrumental-metal" than "rock," as some consider them to be. They mainly do metal-cello, instrumental pieces that are absolutely stunning. However, occasionally they'll get a vocalist to add lyrics to a song, and this would be one of those songs.

[Since I originally wrote out this post by hand, as I did not have access to a computer at the time, this is where I ran out of ink in my pen and had to switch to my back-up pencil]

If you're interested, listen to their song "Path" with just the instrumentals before listening to this song (Path Vol 2) to find your own interpretation.

10. Holiday - Greenday
To top off this wonderful list is Green Day, another one of my absolute favorite bands of all time. Their genre, Punk Rock, is a unique one and can be very difficult to do successfully. Green Day, though, is remarkable at pairing satirical lyrics with edgy, punk-themed instrumentals that leaves you wanting more and more. You know, if satire is your thing.
I think we're all familiar with their hit song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," which has been over-popularized throughout the years, but so many of their other songs (such as this one) can go overlooked. Awesome to have this as the final song for this list!

Hope you enjoyed my little personal notes on how I came to know and love some of the songs on my iPod. Now, I want to know 1) Your go-to genre of music and 2) If you put your iPod library on shuffle, what are the first few songs that pop up?


As always, you can find the 30 Day Blog Challenge list by clicking the link.

Until tomorrow
- Kristazzi

No comments:

Post a Comment